Monday, March 12, 2018

Garments of Praise

Garments of Praise by Robin Mark



Only one time in Scripture is this definition of garment used and that is in Isaiah 61:3 "To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness, that they might be called the trees of righteousness, the planting of The LORD, that He might be glorified."

Garment here means 'mantle'. A cloak that wraps around the body, usually from the neck to the knees, giving full protection from the elements (wind, rain, snow) and from the enemy (camouflages to match surroundings); where neither can touch us, even to the point where we are not aware of either in our vicinity. For this garment of praise, this mantle of worship, to our God, covers us and brings us into His presence.

We know of another mantle, don't we? Elijah's mantle that became Elisha's mantle. A 'splendid' garment, a 'glorious' garment that covered and protected Elijah until it fell from him as the chariots of The LORD carried him into God's eternal presence. 2 Kings 2:9-13   "9 When they had crossed over, Elijah said to Elisha, “Ask what I shall do for you before I am taken from you.” And Elisha said, “Please, let a double portion of your spirit be upon me.” 10 He said, “You have asked a hard thing. Nevertheless, if you see me when I am taken from you, it shall be so for you; but if not, it shall not be so.” 11 As they were going along and talking, behold, there appeared a chariot of fire and horses of fire which separated the two of them. And Elijah went up by a whirlwind to heaven. 12 Elisha saw it and cried out, “My father, my father, the chariots of Israel and its horsemen!” And he saw Elijah no more. Then he took hold of his own clothes and tore them in two pieces. 13 He also took up the mantle of Elijah that fell from him and returned and stood by the bank of the Jordan."

But a mantle such as these cannot, nor must not, be taken lightly. Elisha had to learn to use his mantle and that takes time. But the mantle of praise given to us in Isaiah 61:3 is the worship we give to God. Most of the Book of Psalms is worship and praise, and we all have our favorites, which have been given to us in our days of trial and sifting.


  • Psalm 35:9 "And my soul shall be joyful in The LORD: it (my soul) shall rejoice in His salvation."
  • Psalm 34:1 "I will bless The LORD at ALL times: His praise shall continually be in my mouth."
  • Psalm 33:1 "Rejoice in The LORD, O ye righteous: for praise is comely for the upright."
  • Psalm 32:7 "Thou art my hiding place; thou shalt preserve me from trouble; thou shalt compass me about with songs of deliverance. Se'lah."
  • Psalm 60:16-17 "But I will sing of Thy power; yea, I will sing aloud of Thy mercy in the morning: for Thou hast been my Defence and Refuge in the day of my trouble. Unto Thee, O my Strength, will I sing: for God is my Defence, and The God of my Mercy."
  • Psalm 61:3, 8 "For Thou hast been a Shelter for me, and a Strong Tower from the enemy....So will I sing praise unto Thy Name for ever, that I may daily perform my vows."
  • Psalm 63:3,4 "Because Thy lovingkindness is better than life, my lips shall praise Thee. Thus will I bless Thee while I live: I will lift up my hands in Thy Name."
  • Psalm 66:1,2 "Make a joyful noise unto God, all ye lands: Sing forth the honor of His Name: make His praise glorious."
  • Psalm 60:30 "I will praise The Name of God with a song, and will magnify Him with thanksgiving."
  • Psalm 70:4 "Let all those that seek Thee rejoice and be glad in Thee: and let such as love Thy Salvation say continually, Let God be magnified."

  • Psalm 71:14 "But I will hope continually, and will yet praise Thee more and more." 
  • Psalm 104:33 "I will sing unto The LORD as long as I live: I will sing praise to my God while I have my being."
  • Psalm 108:1 "O God, my heart is fixed; I will sing and give praise, even with my glory."
  • Psalm 118:14 "The LORD Is my Strength and Song, and is become my Salvation."
  • Psalm 118:28 "Thou art my God, and I will praise Thee: Thou art my God, I will exalt Thee."
And while these are definitely not all the verses of praise and thanksgiving written in The Book of Psalms, many of these are underlined in my study Bible. I have much to be thankful for, much to give God glory and thanksgiving for. 


By the way, the two-word phrase "I will" is a promise. A promise given to God from the heart of the believer when reading and applying The Word to one''s life. Not a resolution, nor a light-hearted promise given to just anyone:  I will sing of His love for ever. That's a promise I can keep.

Any promises made to God, God will hold us accountable for. For He keeps His promises and expects us to keep ours. Read through your Bible every year, seeking out that which The Spirit directs you to search for and you will find it. 

To God be the glory, great things He has done. 

No comments:

Post a Comment