Friday, October 21, 2022

Arming The Spiritual Warrior -- More Than Gratitude

 1 Thessalonians 5:18
in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.


*Strong's Ex. Conc. No. 2168
acknowledging that "God's grace works well," i.e. for our eternal gain and His glory; to give thanks – literally, "thankful for God's good grace."

I love that definition. So much more than gratitude. More than a simple whispered, "Thank You." It is to say, "THANK YOU, GOD, FOR SAVING ME BY YOUR GRACE. For LOVING ME BEYOND WHAT I CAN EXPRESS. THANK YOU GOD, FOR YOUR MERCIES ON ME. THANK YOU GOD, FOR MEETING MY NEEDS WHEN I COULDN'T."

It is the expression of thankfulness which the Samaritan leper gave Jesus when Jesus healed him. Luke 17:16 "When one of them saw that he was healed, he came back, praising God in a loud voice. And fell down on his face at His feet, giving Him thanks: and he was a Samaritan." 
Of the ten leprotic men, nine were happy to be healed, but only one was overjoyed and ran back to the One Who had healed them, falling down at Jesus' feet and worshiping Him. In Luke 17:19 Jesus tells him, "Then Jesus said to him, “ Arise, go your way: your faith has made you whole.” It was the man's faith in God, in the Word spoken by The WORD, that made him whole, complete. It was this faith that brought him running back to Jesus to give Him thanks. Being more than healed, he was filled with more than just a simple, Thank you, but THANK YOU, LORD!

It is more than gratitude, it is abundant gratitude, overwhelming gratitude. It is a thankfulness that cannot be measured by mere words but must be accompanied by thankful actions. 

Saying grace at mealtimes is more than thanking God for the food; it is THANKING GOD FOR HIS ABUNDANT BLESSINGS. Even when we have but a little on our plate. Even when we have nothing. We are THANKING GOD IN FAITH FOR HIS PROVISION. 

Even when we know what is about to happen to us, we BLESS GOD, we THANK GOD, for more than the meal that is at hand. In Mark 14:22-25 Jesus institutes the breaking of bread and the drinking of wine in remembrance of Him. It symbolizes the breaking of His body, when He was tortured and nailed to the cross and the pouring out of His blood, which would be shed for the sins of the whole world (from Adam and Eve to the last man or woman who would believe in the name of the LORD JESUS CHRIST for their salvation).

Mark 14:22-25
And as they did eat, Jesus took bread, and blessed, and brake it, and gave to them, and said, Take, eat: this is My body. And He took the cup, and when He had given thanks, He gave it to them: and they all drank of it. And He said unto them, This is My blood of the new testament, which is shed for many. " (cf. Matthew 26:26-29; Luke 22:14-20; 1 Corinthians 11:23-26)

And why are to we to GIVE THANKS in such a way? Because it is GOD'S WILL FOR US IN CHRIST JESUS. Many a seeker has asked, What is God's will for me, for my life? Well, here is one part of God's Will for our lives: A HEART FILLED WITH OVERFLOWING FAITH IN GOD'S GRACE. 

Only a born again believer can offer this thanks, for that person is IN CHRIST JESUS and CHRIST JESUS IS IN US. Though God's will is for everyone, not everyone will want to live it; therefore, they cannot give thanks to God for His grace. 

Overflowing THANKS TO GOD comes from a heart that believes in the GRACE which GOD has offered through His only begotten Son Jesus Christ. He Who died on the cross, rose from the dead and sits at the right hand of the Father died for you and for me. All we have to do is believe this. Speak what we believe out loud for all to hear and we are now IN CHRIST and CHRIST IS IN US. (John 17:20, 21)
As Paul writes to the church in Galatia, Galatians 2:20 "I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ lives in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, Who loved me, and gave Himself for me."

Hallelujah! Praise The Lord! Rejoice! How can we not have a Thankful spirit? Our hearts should be doing cartwheels, jumping for joy; it's that smile on our faces that reaches to our eyes. JESUS CHRIST LIVES and HE LIVES IN ME! 

HE LIVES 
by Alfred H. Ackley

(1)
I serve a risen Saviour, He's in the world today
I know that He is living, whatever men may say
I see His hand of mercy, I hear His voice of cheer
And just the time I need Him He's always near.
--chorus--
He lives (He lives), He lives (He lives), Christ Jesus lives today
He walks with me and talks with me
Along life's narrow way
He lives (He lives), He lives (He lives), Salvation to impart
You ask me how I know He lives?
He lives within my heart!
(2)
In all the world around me I see His loving care
And though my heart grows weary I never will despair
I know that He is leading, through all the stormy blast
The day of His appearing will come at last!
--chorus--
He lives (He lives), He lives (He lives), Christ Jesus lives today
He walks with me and talks with me
Along life's narrow way
He lives (He lives), He lives (He lives), Salvation to impart
You ask me how I know He lives?
He lives within my heart!
(3)
Rejoice, rejoice, O Christian Lift up your voice and sing
Eternal hallelujahs to Jesus Christ, the King
The Hope of all who seek Him, the Help of all who find
None other is so loving, so good and kind!
--chorus--
He lives (He lives), He lives (He lives), Christ Jesus lives today
He walks with me and talks with me
Along life's narrow way
He lives (He lives), He lives (He lives), Salvation to impart
You ask me how I know He lives?
He lives within my heart!









No comments:

Post a Comment