Friday, April 15, 2022

At The Cross

 


We all come to the cross eventually. And to the Man Who hung there. But what do we do when we get there? 

Pilate labeled Him. Matthew 27:Above His head they posted the written charge against Him: THIS IS JESUS, THE KING OF THE JEWS.

Some who came to the cross merely read the label Pilate gave Him and immediately rejected it: John 19:20 Therefore many of the Jews read this title, for the place where Jesus was crucified was near the city, and it was written in Hebrew, in Latin, and in Greek. 

Two thieves, one on each side, saw Him hanging there, but only one acknowledged Him as Lord: Luke 23:42 Then he said to Jesus, “Lord, remember me when You come into Your kingdom.” 

Some who passed by spoke evil words against Him, not fearing God, slandering Jesus, giving profane voice to the evil of their hearts: Matthew 27:39 And those who passed by blasphemed Him, wagging their heads. 

Some spoke sarcastically to Him: Matthew 27:40 And they said [tauntingly], “You who would destroy the temple and rebuild it in three days, save Yourself [from death]! If You are the Son of God, come down from the cross.”

The chief priests, the scribes and elders came to the cross, looked up at Jesus and spoke mockingly (ridiculed, contemptuously, derisively) to Him: Matthew 27:41-43 In the same way, the chief priests, scribes, and elders mocked Him, saying, “He saved others, but He cannot save Himself. He is the King of Israel! Let Him come down now from the cross, and we will believe in Him. He trusts in God. Let God deliver Him now if He wants Him. For He said, ‘I am the Son of God.’ ”

Some who came to the cross heard His voice but lacked the interpretation: Matthew 27:46-47 About the ninth hour Jesus cried out in a loud voice, “Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani?” which means, “My God, My God, why have You forsaken Me?”  When some of those standing there heard this, they said, “He is calling Elijah.”

Some who were at the cross were given new family members: John 19:25-27 Near the cross of Jesus stood His mother and her sister, as well as Mary the wife of Clopas and Mary Magdalene. When Jesus saw His mother and the disciple whom He loved standing nearby, He said to His mother, “Woman, here is your son.” Then He said to the disciple, “Here is your mother.” So from that hour, this disciple took her into his home. 

The soldier standing at the cross saw Jesus for Who He Is: Luke 23:47 Now when the centurion saw what was done, he glorified God, saying, Certainly this was a righteous man. Matthew 27:54 Now when the centurion, and they that were with him, watching Jesus, saw the earthquake, and those things that were done, they feared greatly, saying, Truly this was the Son of God.

When I came to the cross, I saw Jesus for Who He Is. I recognized my need for a Savior. I repented of my sins, received His forgiveness and began to live a new life in Him. Not a perfect life just yet, but newness of life given through the power of God's Holy Spirit, bringing me into His family as His daughter. 

When I came to the cross, I fell on my knees and wept before Him. He wiped my tears away, brushing shame from my face. When I came to the cross, I stepped into the blood which had pooled there and let it wash over me as I walked through it and stepped beyond the cross into a resurrected life. Death has no power over me now; it is but a door, a single breath. And then, like the thief who admitted his wrongdoings and saw Jesus as Lord, I, too, will be with my God and my Christ for ever and ever.

And you? What did you do when you came to the cross? Have you come to the cross even yet? 


AT THE CROSS 
--Isaac Watts 1707--


1 Alas! and did my Savior bleed,
and did my Sovereign die!
Would he devote that sacred head
for sinners such as I?
2 Was it for crimes that I have done,
he groaned upon the tree?
Amazing pity! Grace unknown!
And love beyond degree!
3 Well might the sun in darkness hide,
and shut its glories in,
when God, the mighty maker, died
for his own creature's sin.
4 Thus might I hide my blushing face
while his dear cross appears;
dissolve my heart in thankfulness,
and melt mine eyes to tears.
5 But drops of tears can ne'er repay
the debt of love I owe.
Here, Lord, I give myself away;
'tis all that I can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment