Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Green Pastures

"I have learned in whatsoever circumstance I am therewith to be content." Paul speaking in a letter to the church in Philippi.
"Let your conversation be w/o covetousness; and be content with such things as you have, for He has said, 'I will never leave you, nor forsake you." Peter writing a letter to the church in Jerusalem.

"Be strong and courageous, and do the work. Do not be afraid or discouraged, for the LORD God, my God, is with you." David speaking to his son Solomon, on the building of the temple of God. 
THE WORD OF GOD IS ALIVE BECAUSE THE WORD OF GOD IS JESUS CHRIST AND HE IS LIFE ETERNAL. What was written to others then is written to us NOW.
The Bible is not a dusty manuscript, nor is it only a 'dead sea scroll': IT IS THE WRITTEN WORD OF GOD. JESUS CHRIST is the LIVING WORD OF GOD. And when GOD speaks, that is THE SPOKEN WORD OF GOD.
     When we read our Bibles aloud, or hear The Word spoken by those who teach it or preach it, then we are hearing GOD speak. Do not listen to the voice of the one speaking or preaching: LISTEN TO GOD.
     We are all accountable to GOD for what we HEAR, what we SAY, what we SEE, what we DO, what we TOUCH.
     See the first three words in the first verse? I HAVE LEARNED. Paul had been through much for the sake of the gospel and he wrote them that HE HAD LEARNED. Learning to be content in every situation, not wanting what someone else had, regardless of where he was or what conditions his living arrangements, if any, were like.
      PSALM 23:2a “He makes me to lie down in green pastures.” Through a learning process, I have been made to lie down in the greener pastures of GOD. I would like to say that I have learned to be content, but when we see a beautiful garden or a wraparound porch or a lovely vacation home in the mountains, I have found myself saying, “I want that” or “I wish we could do that”. That is envy rearing its ugly little head into my life. I am still learning to be content in all things; but I do believe I am getting there.
     When a shepherd needs to train a wandering sheep who keeps escaping through fences or keeps falling off the cliff-side in search of sweeter grasses, he breaks its leg gently. GOD does not break our legs in the same way as this. What God did was to send His Holy Spirit to the believers who earnestly desired to be comforted and strengthened after Christ returned to heaven. They needed Someone to guide them in the ways and the will of God until Christ's return.
     To hear God's Word when it is spoken, The Holy Spirit must draw you nearer to God. Often one of the first ways He does, is to prompt you to stand up and walk down the aisle of the church-place you are in and get on your knees. The Holy Spirit will gently lead you to Christ, perhaps through another person who will offer to pray with you, and then to God. Becoming a born-again Christ is not difficult; the hardest thing you will ever do on that leg of the journey is take that first step. It is the steps we take after we stand up that could become more difficult.
     To have God hear your words, you must have received Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior of your life and everything that pertains to your life. He is King of all kings and Lord of all lords; there is none higher, none greater, no one outranks Him. For even His own Father has said that we are to WORSHIP CHRIST. Everything we do in our lives should reflect Jesus Christ.
     How does My Shepherd MAKE me to lie down in green pastures? He calls to me and while at the first few times I will respond, it is when I am farther away from His voice that I do not respond quite as quickly nor as affectionately. So He must come after me and lead me back to His side. I am learning to be content in His pastures. Reading His Word daily keeps me near Him. While in the beginning of my newly born-again life, which began a mere 20 years ago (I was saved when I was 34), I was content to just read my Bible, it became clear right away to me, that I needed more. So I began to study, and when that wasn't enough, I began to seek the baptism of The Holy Spirit; just like they who gathered in the upper room in the Book of Acts, waited and prayed to receive The Comforter Who had been promised to them by Jesus.
     And I was baptized after many days of prayer and hearing The Word of God being preached by an evangelist who had visited our church. The devil tried to keep me away by having me work one or more of those nights, but God had a plan for me down at that altar, and He made a way yet again for me to receive what He had promised for me.
     To be content in all things, to be able to be at peace in every complication, is something I am still working on. I have anxiety, I get panic attacks; sometimes they are pretty bad. So my husband is learning how to recognize them. Even though my heart races and I can't catch my breath and I can't talk or communicate in any way, these attacks can be mistaken and diagnosed otherwise. They are not heart attacks, nor am I stroking out; it is not even 'malaise' as one such ER doctor put it. They are rare, but they do still happen.
     And yet, on some level, I am at peace because I know that God Is With me. Because I believe Him when He says He will never leave me, nor forsake me. I believe God when He says He loves me and will always be near me. I believe God and that's what keeps me in His greener pastures. Do you? 

No comments:

Post a Comment